Following the American Civil War Sesquicentennial with day by day writings of the time, currently 1863.

August 22.—Rear-Admiral George Campbell Read, Governor of the Naval Asylum at Philadelphia, died in that city this day.—General Michael Corcoran arrived at New-York City, and met with a most enthusiastic reception.

—The Seventeenth regiment of Maine volunteers, commanded by Col. Thomas A. Roberts, passed through New-York City en route for the seat of war.—Two bridges on the Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad, east of Loveland, Ohio, were burned, it was supposed, by rebel sympathizers.

—To-day, and the preceding two days, a series of skirmishes occurred near Crab Orchard, Ky., between the Ninth Pennsylvania cavalry, under the command of Gen. Green Clay Smith, and a rebel cavalry regiment, under Col. Scott, resulting in the defeat and retreat of the latter on each occasion.

—A force of Gen. Stuart’s rebel cavalry made a dash at Catlett’s Station, Va., and destroyed or carried off a great quantity of sutler’s and other stores, sacked the hospital, captured Gen. Pope’s wagons with all his papers, etc., and then proceeded towards Warrenton.—(Doc. 188.)

—President Lincoln, in response to a letter written by Horace Greeley, stated that his paramount object was the restoration of the Union, and not the safety or destruction of slavery. If he could save the Union without freeing the slaves, he would do it; if he could save it by freeing all the slaves, he would do it; and if he could save it by freeing a portion and leaving others alone, he would do that.—See Supplement.

—The One Hundred and Seventeenth regiment, New-York volunteers, Col. W. R. Pease, left Camp Huntington, near Rome, at noon to-day for the seat of war. This was Oneida County’s first regiment under the new call, and her fourth for the war.

—The day before yesterday, and to-day, Fort Ridgely, Minn., was attacked by a large body of Indians, who, on each occasion, were repulsed by the garrison, of whom three were killed and thirteen wounded.—(Doc. 189.)

—This morning, at five o’clock, the rebels opened fire from their batteries along the whole line of the army on the Rappahannock. The Union army on the opposite bank of the river promptly replied, and the cannonade was kept up, with short intermissions, all day. The principal attack was on the Union centre, occupied by General McDowell’s army corps. At about nine A.M., the cannonading having almost ceased, Gen. Sigel ordered Gen. Schurz to ford the river with a brigade of his division, and reconnoitre the enemy’s position on the opposite side. When about a mile from the river, Gen. Schurz discovered the rebels, who, after receiving a volley or two, precipitately retreated, in the hope of drawing the Unionists into an ambush. This failed. General Schurz took up his position, and in turn was attacked by the rebels in force. A fierce battle ensued, which lasted until six P.M., when, the Unionists not being sufficiently strong to hold the advanced position, retired to the north bank of the river, and joined the main body of the army. —(Doc. 104.)

Previous post:

Next post: