Following the American Civil War Sesquicentennial with day by day writings of the time, currently 1863.

March 2.—The brigade of regulars from General Rosecrans’s division went out on a foraging expedition from Murfreesboro, Tenn., this morning, and encountered the rebels posted in force, about sixteen miles distant on the Salem Pike. The Union forces consisted of one battalion of the Fifteenth infantry, Captain Keteltas; one battalion of the Sixteenth, Captain Crofton; two battalions of the Eighteenth, Captains Douglas and Fetterman; and one battalion of the Nineteenth— the whole under command of Colonel Shepherd, Fifteenth United States infantry. A section of Guenther’s battery accompanied the infantry. The expedition moved out from Murfreesboro at seven A.M., and proceeded without interruption to the vicinity of Eagleville. Here it was ascertained that a strong body of the rebel cavalry were awaiting the National approach. Colonel Shepherd instantly ordered his force to take the proper positions, and, with a strong line of skirmishers thrown to front and flank, advanced steadily and cautiously upon the rebel position. In a few moments the National skirmishers engaged the enemy’s outposts, and immediately thereafter the rebels moved quickly to the front and advanced across the front line of the skirmishers. A hot engagement ensued, and lasted for about ten minutes, when the enemy, unable to endure the galling fire of the regulars, broke and fled. They were shortly afterward got into a second line of battle, and, with heavy reinforcements, ventured a movement on the Union right, with the evident intention of assailing them by flank and rear. This design also failed, and the National forces repulsed the assailants a second time. They did not again make a stand, but made a hurried retreat, even leaving behind their dead, of whom there were several. The Unionists took no prisoners, but the enemy’s loss in killed and wounded was considerable.—Chicago Times.

— A Union Club was organized in Boston, Mass., and Edward Everett was elected to its presidency.—A slight cavalry fight took place near Petersburgh, Tenn., between a party of rebels and bushwhackers, and two hundred loyal Tennesseeans, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Brownlow, in which the rebels were routed, with twelve killed and twenty wounded.— Captain Schultze, with a company of Union cavalry, surprised Mosby’s rebel guerrillas at a point near Aldie, Va., and succeeded in capturing thirty of them, without any loss on the National side.

— Thirty-three commissioned officers of the United States army having been found guilty of various charges by general Court-Martial, the details of the several cases being contained in General Orders No. 13, dated February eighteenth, 1S63, and the sentence having been approved by the Commanding General, were this day dismissed the service.—Four guerrillas were captured at the house of one Lisle, on the Nashville turnpike, three miles from Russellville, Ky.—Union meetings were held at Harrodsburgh, Lebanon, and Taylorsville, Ky.—Louisville Journal.

Previous post:

Next post: