Following the American Civil War Sesquicentennial with day by day writings of the time, currently 1863.

June 29.—At Philadelphia, Pa., there was much excitement on account of the approach of the rebels toward Gettysburgh. Business was suspended, and the people prepared themselves for defence.— (Doc. 85.)

—At Sykesville, Marriottsville, and other points in Maryland, the rebels appeared and committed depredations on public and private property.— Columbia, Pa., was placed under martial law, and Captain Samuel J. Randall, of the Philadelphia City Troop, was appointed Provost-Marshal; the citizens of the town were seized and sent to work on the intrenchments.—Wrightsville, Pa., was evacuated by the rebels.—The Forty-fifth regiment of Massachusetts volunteers, returned to Boston from Newbern, N. C.—National troops enforced the enrolment, and arrested deserters, in Sullivan and Green counties, Ind.—Captain Jones, with a detachment of the First New-York cavalry, had a sharp engagement with a party of rebel horsemen belonging to the command of General Imboden, at McConnellsburgh, Pa., defeating them and driving them out of the town.— (Doc. 85.)

—General Bragg abandoned his fortifications on the north side of Duck River, Tenn., and made a hasty retreat toward Tullahoma.—The rebels approached to a point on the Reistertown road seven miles from Baltimore, Md., creating a great excitement in that city.—A resolution calling on President Lincoln to restore General McClellan to command, passed the Common Council of Philadelphia.—A party of Colonel Sharpe’s scouts, nine in number, headed by Sergeant M.W. Kline, dashed into Hagerstown, Md., this morning, in the very rear of the enemy, and captured ten prisoners and a large rebel mail, which was on its way from the South to Lee’s army.—At Westminster, Md., a fight took place between a portion of the First regiment of Delaware cavalry and the rebel cavalry belonging to General Stuart’s division. About half-past three o’clock in the afternoon, a citizen informed the Nationals that the rebels were approaching, and the men were rapidly put in position. Lieutenant Clark, with twelve men, advanced to reconnoitre; he found about three hundred rebels coming down the Washington road, and heard that as many more had crossed from said road toward the rear of the Delaware encampment. The reconnoitring party then fell back to the main body and formed in front of the first platoon. Major Knight, who was in command of the Federal force, gave the order to charge, which was obeyed in gallant style. The rebels were driven back on the Washington road about two hundred yards. The fight lasted some fifteen or twenty minutes, sabres and pistols being freely used, when the Federals, overpowered by superior numbers, were in turn forced back. Just then it was discovered that a large force was coming up from the rear, and the order was given to retreat. Major Knight, Lieutenant Clark, and Adjutant Lobdell remained behind to the last, covering and directing the retreat. Clark had a ball pass through the rim of his hat, and one of his arms was very much bruised by the side-stroke of a sabre. These officers, with a number of men, reached Baltimore shortly after midnight There were about ninety-five men engaged on the Union side, consisting of Captain Corbett’s and Lieutenant Churchman’s companies. Captain Corbett had his horse shot, was wounded and taken prisoner. Lieutenant Churchman and Surgeon Shields were also captured. The Nationals had two killed, seven wounded, and thirty-eight missing. The names of the killed and wounded were as follows: killed, Daniel Welch and Wm. Vandegraft; wounded, Joseph Wilson, Samuel Bigler, James Newkirk, Frank Stewart, Dickinson Meredith, Theodore Jones, and Robert Machin. Of the rebels, two lieutenants and one private were killed, and fifteen wounded. The rebel dead were buried by the Union troops after Stuart left Westminster. Their wounded were left behind.—Baltimore American.

—General Shipley, Military Governor of Louisiana, issued an order calling upon the citizens of New-Orleans for a brigade of volunteers to serve for sixty days in defence of the city.— This day Rear-Admiral Porter, being informed by General Dennis, commanding the post at Young’s Point, on the Mississippi River, that the National negro troops at Goodrich’s Landing had been attacked by the rebels, directed General Ellet to proceed with the Marine Brigade to the scene of action, and remain there until every thing was quiet. The hindmost vessel of the brigade, the John Haines, arrived there as the rebels were setting fire to the Government plantations, and supposing her to be an ordinary transport, they opened fire on her with field-pieces, but were much surprised to have the fire returned with shrapnel, which fell in among them, killing and wounding a number. The result was a retreat on the part of the rebels, and the escape of a number of negroes whom they had imprisoned. The gunboat Romeo also came up the river about this time, and hearing the firing, hurried to the scene of action. The commander soon discovered the rebels setting fire to the plantations, and commenced shelling them. This he kept up for a distance of fifteen miles, chasing them along—the rebels setting fire to every thing as they advanced. The result was an almost total destruction of houses and property along the river front in that vicinity. The rebels carried off about one thousand two hundred negroes, who were employed in working upon the Government plantations. General Ellet landed his forces, and in company with a black brigade, proceeded to chase the rebels, who were making a hasty retreat. The General found the road strewn with broken carts and furniture, which the rebels left in their haste to get away from his forces. He pursued them as far as Tensas River, where they had crossed. They burned the bridges, and intrenched themselves for a battle. This was soon offered them. The Union artillery opened on them and put them to flight. General Ellet, not knowing the country very well, and having only a small force with him, deemed it proper not to pursue them much further. He sent two hundred infantry across the bayou, and found they were retreating to Delhi, leaving their plunder strewn along the road.

Previous post:

Next post: