Following the American Civil War Sesquicentennial with day by day writings of the time, currently 1863.

June 30.—Maryland Heights were evacuated by the National troops, after the removal of the Government property and the demolition of the fortifications.—At Cincinnati, Ohio, a meeting to devise means for the defence of the city was held, Major-General Burnside presiding.—General O. B. Wilcox issued a general order against secret political societies and other organizations in Indiana and Michigan.—(Doc. 88.)

—The Twenty-second and Thirty-seventh regiments of New-York militia, left camp, opposite Harrisburgh, Pa., taking only their arms and canteens, and started out to reconnoitre for a few hours. After scouring the country for ten miles they met the rebels, drawn up in line of battle at Sporting Hill, awaiting their approach. Colonel Roome, of the Thirty-seventh, being senior officer, took the right, and Colonel Aspinwall the left They then advanced on the rebels, and were forcing them back, when the latter opened on the militia with two pieces of artillery; but a section of an independent Philadelphia battery coming up, soon silenced their guns, when they retreated with a loss of thirteen killed and twenty wounded.

—Major-general Meade, from his headquarters, army of the Potomac, issued the following circular:

“The Commanding General requests that previous to the engagement soon expected with the enemy, corps and all other commanding officers address their troops, explaining to them the immense issues involved in the struggle. The enemy is now on our soil. The whole country looks anxiously to this army to deliver it from the presence of the foe. Our failure to do so will leave us no such welcome as the swelling of millions of hearts with pride and joy at our success would give to every soldier of the army. Homes, firesides, and domestic altars are involved. The army has fought well heretofore. It is believed that it will fight more desperately and bravely than ever if it is addressed in fitting terms. Corps and other commanders are authorized to order the instant death of any soldier who fails to do his duty at this hour.”

—A battle took place at Hanover, Pa., between the National forces under Generals Pleasanton, Custer, and Kilpatrick, and the rebels under J. E. B. Stuart, resulting in the defeat of the latter with a heavy loss.—(Doc. 32.)

—Colonel Wilder’s cavalry expedition to the rear of Bragg’s army at Tullahoma, returned to Manchester, Tenn. With his brigade of mounted infantry he started on Sunday, the twenty-eighth instant, went to Hillsboro, thence to Decherd, swam Elk River, and crossed with his howitzers on a raft, making fifty miles the same day. He tore up the track, burned the cars, and the depot full of stores, and destroyed the trestle work. At daylight on Monday he started up to the Southern University, where he divided his force.

One portion was sent to strike the railroad at Tantalon, while Wilder went to strike it at Anderson. There he found Buckner’s whole division and a train of cars going up from Knoxville to Tullahoma, and fell back, in the mean while tearing up the railroad from Cowan to Jersey City. The rebels, meanwhile, having sent a powerful force to intercept him, he struck through the mountain and returned to Manchester, which he reached to-day. He took and paroled a number of prisoners and captured a lot of mules. The damage done to the railroad is very serious, but would have been more so if the rivers had not been so high. The expedition made one hundred and twenty-six miles in two days and a half.—(Doc. 37.)

—In the British House of Commons an animated debate was held on the subject of the recognition of the rebel government.—Hanover and York, Pa., were occupied by the National troops, the rebels concentrating near Gettysburgh.—Baltimore, Md., was placed under martial law by General Schenck.—(Doc. 86.)

Previous post:

Next post: