Following the American Civil War Sesquicentennial with day by day writings of the time, currently 1863.

Post image for Cruise of the U.S. Flag-Ship Hartford – From the Personal Journal of Wm. C. Holton.

Cruise of the U.S. Flag-Ship Hartford – From the Personal Journal of Wm. C. Holton.

November 8, 2012

Cruise of the U.S. Flag-Ship Hartford–Wm. C. Holton

November 8th. Came to anchor off South-West Pass at nine A. M. We were saluted with thirteen guns by a large French man-of-war which was lying to anchor at this place. We returned the salute. At three thirty P. M., Richmond got under way and attempted to cross the bar, but unfortunately she grounded; signalized for steamer Tennessee to assist in getting her over; after about two hours hard working they succeeded in passing over; in the meantime we got under way and steamed over the bar without any difficulty.

Again in the old Mississippi river. At six forty-five P. M., passed the steamer Potomac going down, bound for New York. At ten P. M., arrived at the forts; here a gun was fired as a signal for us to come to; after ascertaining who we were we were allowed to pass on. It will be remembered that on the eventful morning of April 24th, 1862, there was more than one gun fired at us as a signal for us to come to. Not deeming it expedient to stop, we continued on our course. Our conduct in this particular was considered by those occupying Forts Jackson and St. Philip at that time impudent and insulting in the extreme. Finding that we took no heed to the gun which they first fired, they immediately fired another, and another. Thinking therefore, that we had been very finely saluted, it was considered proper that we should return it, so accordingly, finding that our battery was in order and in fine trim, we paid our compliments to Mr. Secesh by giving them a few broadsides, making brick and mortar fly in all directions. Not liking our style altogether, the firing soon became general, and it was not long before it was ascertained that somebody was missing. However, continuing on our course we passed the quarantine grounds at eleven P. M. Having a very good pilot on board, we were able to run all night, reaching the city on the following morning.

Previous post:

Next post: