Following the American Civil War Sesquicentennial with day by day writings of the time, currently 1863.

Post image for Reminiscences of the Civil War by William and Adelia Lyon.

Reminiscences of the Civil War by William and Adelia Lyon.

August 9, 2012

Reminiscences of the Civil War, William and Adelia Lyon

About July 1, 1862, my father was stricken with paralysis. My sister, Mrs. Susie Adams, and myself were hurriedly summoned to Canada. The doctor said that his condition was critical, and we left immediately. Upon our arrival we found my father somewhat improved, and his convalescence continued from that time until he was entirely well. We remained in Canada about three weeks.

On the 9th day of August, 1862, Captain Lyon was Field Officer of the day, and on account of the sickness of so many of the officers he was obliged to do double duty. The day was fearfully hot and he became very much exhausted. In the afternoon when he returned to camp he felt so weary that he lay down on the ground in his tent. He remembered that Colonel Murphy came into his tent and told him that he had been commissioned Colonel of the 13th Regiment, but it made no particular impression upon his mind. He also remembered that the Lieutenant came into his tent and looked at him, and later that he brought Dr. Murta to him.[1] The following letter, dated August 17, 1862, was received from our brother-in-law, A. S. Northrup:

I have just returned from the 8th Regiment on a visit to Wm. P. Lyon. Colonel Lyon, of the 13th, he is now. Found him rather poorly. He has been sick about a week, but the surgeon says that he is now on the gain.

I should judge from what I learned that he has been quite sick, but the doctor says that there is no danger but that he will get along now. He is relieved from duty in the 8th and will join his regiment, the 13th, at Columbus as soon as able. His disease, the doctor says, is a slow, dull kind of fever. It will take time for him to get over it, but he does not apprehend any danger at all. I think he is a little worried about himself, especially as the 8th is about moving some seventy miles to Tuscumbia, Ala., and his surgeon thinks he had better go with them, for a while at least, as they understand his case and think it would be better than to put him into strange hands. It is not certain that the regiment will go farther than Iuka, about 25 miles on the Memphis and Charleston R. R. William went on the cars. I happened there just in time to see him a little while and help him aboard. I took his cot into the car, so that he could lounge at leisure. When I left him he seemed very comfortable indeed. I tried to get him to come and stay with me until he got able to join his regiment, but he thought he would enjoy himself better to wait until he was able to be about some. I shall expect him in about a week. I should not much wonder if you should see him in Wisconsin in less than a month, as he will hardly be fit for duty in less than two months. William’s company feel like orphans, almost. I find he was a regular pet in the whole regiment. He will receive the very best of attention, and I do not think there is any cause of alarm, as the doctor says that all he requires now is good nursing.

[1] This was the last of my service with the 8th Regiment. While I was ill the regiment moved down to Tuseumbla, past Iuka. I went over to Corinth on my recovery and resigned as a Captain of the 8th. Bartlett took the place of Captain of Company K. Smith had been made Captain of Company B. He was a fine soldier and popular. I went home for a month on leave of absence. A few days after I left Price came and the rebels were whipped. There was a good deal of fighting about there then. After I left, the 8th was in the fight that is called the last battle before Corinth. When I felt able to go on duty again I went to Madison and mustered in as Colonel of the 13th and went back South. I found my regiment at Fort Henry.—W. P. L.

Previous post:

Next post: